Go to Contents Go to Navigation

(2nd LD) Main blaze in massive wildfire contained in Sancheong after nearly 10 days

All News 14:56 March 30, 2025

(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead; UPDATES with more info in paras 1-7; ADDS photo)

SEOUL, March 30 (Yonhap) -- A massive wildfire that began in Sancheong County and swept through nearby regions in South Gyeongsang Province has been fully contained, authorities said Sunday.

The main fires were under control as of 1 p.m. Sunday, nearly 10 days after they first broke out March 21, according to forestry officials.

The wildfire has scorched an estimated 1,858 hectares of woodland, equivalent to around 2,600 football fields.

At least 30 people have died from the recent wave of nationwide wildfires, including 26 reported in North Gyeongsang Province.

The military deployed 600 soldiers and 49 helicopters Sunday to help completely extinguish the remaining embers and provide medical and other assistance.

Smoke rises from a mountain in Andong, North Gyeongsang Province, on March 29, 2025. (Yonhap)

Smoke rises from a mountain in Andong, North Gyeongsang Province, on March 29, 2025. (Yonhap)

Meanwhile, police authorities said they have booked a man suspected of starting the massive wildfires in North Gyeongsang Province.

The 56-year-old man is accused of causing the fire at around 11:25 a.m. on March 22 while performing an ancestral rite at a family grave on a hill in Uiseong County, North Gyeongsang Province.

The fire then spread rapidly to nearby Andong, Cheongsong, Yeongyang and Yeongdeok for days due to gusty winds amid dry conditions.

The wildfires also destroyed an estimated 4,000 structures, including Goun Temple -- a UNESCO World Heritage Site -- along with homes, factories and other facilities.

The suspect has denied the allegations against him, according to police.

A hillside grave site in Uiseong County, believed to be the point of origin of a massive wildfire that ravaged the country's southeastern region, is left charred in the aftermath on March 29, 2025. (Yonhap)

A hillside grave site in Uiseong County, believed to be the point of origin of a massive wildfire that ravaged the country's southeastern region, is left charred in the aftermath on March 29, 2025. (Yonhap)

The Korea Forest Service earlier announced the wildfires in North Gyeongsang Province had been fully brought under control as of 5 p.m. Friday before they reignited overnight Saturday.

About 48,000 hectares of woodland, equivalent to some 80 percent of the size of Seoul, have been scorched in the worst wildfire disaster ever in South Korea, according to the forestry agency.

The fire that started in Sancheong County and spread to Mount Jiri National Park was mostly contained as of Sunday, with authorities battling to put out the remaining fire, which is 200 meters long, on the outskirts of the park.

Authorities deployed 50 helicopters, 1,473 personnel and 213 vehicles, starting at dawn, to extinguish the blaze, which was 99 percent contained as of 8 a.m.

Police plan to conduct a joint investigation as early as next week in coordination with the National Institute of Forest Science, the National Forensic Service and the fire authorities.

This photo, taken March 29, 2025, shows a golf course destroyed by a wildfire in Andong, North Gyeongsang Province. (Yonhap)

This photo, taken March 29, 2025, shows a golf course destroyed by a wildfire in Andong, North Gyeongsang Province. (Yonhap)

julesyi@yna.co.kr
(END)

Keywords
Articles with issue keywords
Most Liked
Most Saved
Most Viewed More
HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!