[返回学习园地首页]·[所有跟帖]·[ 回复本帖 ] ·[热门原创] ·[繁體閱讀]·[版主管理]
中英对照:Wuthering Heights 《呼啸山庄》(11)a
送交者: wangguotong[★★★声望勋衔13★★★] 于 2024-11-14 0:17 已读 527 次 1 赞  

wangguotong的个人频道

中英对照:Wuthering Heights 《呼啸山庄》(11a

作者:Emily Bronte 艾米莉·勃朗特

Chapter 11

第十一章

Sometimes, while meditating on these things in solitude, I’ve got up in a sudden terror, and put on my bonnet to go see how all was at the farm.

有时,当我独自冥想这些事情时,我突然惊醒,戴上帽子去农场看看情况如何。 —  

 I’ve persuaded my conscience that it was a duty to warn him how people talked regarding his ways;

我说服了自己,警告他人如何谈论他的行为是一种责任; —  

 and then I’ve recollected his confirmed bad habits, and, hopeless of benefiting him, have flinched from re-entering the dismal house, doubting if I could bear to be taken at my word.

然后我想起他那些不断坚持的坏习惯,对于改变他的行为失去了希望,就退缩不进那个令人沮丧的房子,怀疑自己是否能够对自己的话负责。 

 One time I passed the old gate, going out of my way, on a journey to Gimmerton.

有一次,我越过了那扇古老的门,离开了我的路线, —  

 It was about the period that my narrative has reached:

去吉姆顿旅行。那是我的故事发生的时期: —  

 a bright frosty afternoon; the ground bare, and the road hard and dry.

一个明亮而寒冷的下午;地面光秃秃的,路面坚硬而干燥。 —  

 I came to a stone where the highway branches off on to the moor at your left hand;

我来到了一块石头那里,那是一条道路在你的左手边分开通向荒野的地方; —  

 a rough sand-pillar, with the letters W. H. cut on its north side, on the east, G., and on the south-west, T. G. It serves as a guide-post to the Grange, the Heights, and village.

一个粗糙的沙柱,在它的北面刻着字母W.H.,在东面是G.,在西南面是T.G.它是通往庄园、高地和村庄的路标。 —  

 The sun shone yellow on its grey head, reminding me of summer;

阳光照在它灰色的头上,让我想起夏天。 —  

 and I cannot say why, but all at once a gush of child’s sensations flowed into my heart.

我不能说为什么,但所有的孩子感觉突然涌入了我的心里。 —  

 Hindley and I held it a favourite spot twenty years before. I gazed long at the weather-worn block;

二十年前,Hindley和我把它当作最喜欢的地方。我长时间地凝视着风化的石块; —  

 and, stooping down, perceived a hole near the bottom still full of snail-shells and pebbles, which we were fond of storing there with more perishable things;

弯下身子,发现底部附近有一个洞,里面还装满了蜗牛壳和鹅卵石,我们喜欢把更易腐烂的东西存放在那里; —  

 and, as fresh as reality, it appeared that I beheld my early playmate seated on the withered turf:

它出现得如此真实,仿佛我看到我的早期玩伴坐在枯草上:他黑漆漆的方头前俯,用一块石板挖着土。 可怜的Hindley我情不自禁地叫道。 —  

 his dark, square head bent forward, and his little hand scooping out the earth with a piece of slate.

我惊了一下:我的眼前被欺骗了一瞬间, —  

 “Poor Hindley!” I exclaimed, involuntarily.

觉得那个孩子抬起脸来直直地盯着我的眼睛! —  

 I started: my bodily eye was cheated into a momentary belief that the child lifted its face and stared straight into mine!

它在一瞬间消失了;但我立刻感到一种无法抗拒的渴望,想去走走希思庄园。迷信驱使我顺从这一冲动: —  

 It vanished in a twinkling;

万一他已经死了呢! —  

 but immediately I felt an irresistible yearning to be at the Heights.

我想——或许他很快就会死! —  

 Superstition urged me to comply with this impulse:

——那会不会是个死亡的预兆呢? —  

 supposing he should be dead!

请务必回到希思庄园! —  

 I thought—or should die soon!

我心里想, —  

 —supposing it were a sign of death!

毫不犹豫地迈开步子。 —  

 The nearer I got to the house the more agitated I grew;

我越接近这个房子,我就越不安, —  

 and on catching sight of it I trembled in every limb. The apparition had outstripped me:

当我看到它时,我浑身颤抖。这个幽灵已经超过了我。 —  

 it stood looking through the gate.

它站在门口看着。 —  

 That was my first idea on observing an elf-locked, brown-eyed boy setting his ruddy countenance against the bars.

当我看到一个打了结的、棕色眼睛的男孩将他红润的脸对着栏杆时,这是我第一个想法。 —  

 Further reflection suggested this must be Hareton, my Hareton, not altered greatly since I left him, ten months since.

进一步的思考让我相信这一定是赫顿,我的赫顿,从我离开他十个月之后,他并没有大变。 

 “God bless thee, darling!” I cried, forgetting instantaneously my foolish fears.

上帝保佑你,亲爱的!”我喊道,立刻忘记了我愚蠢的恐惧。赫顿, —  

 “Hareton, it’s Nelly!

我是尼莉!尼莉, —  

 Nelly, thy nurse.”

你的奶妈。”  

 He retreated out of arm’s length, and picked up a large flint.

他退离了我的手臂距离,捡起了一块大燧石。 

 “I am come to see thy father, Hareton,” I added, guessing from the action that Nelly, if she lived in his memory at all, was not recognised as one with me.

我来看你爸爸的,赫顿,我补充道,从他的举动猜测出来,如果尼莉在他的记忆中存在,也没能认出她是和我一起的人。 

 He raised his missile to hurl it;

他举起他的石头要扔, —  

 I commenced a soothing speech, but could not stay his hand:

我开始安抚的话语,但无法阻止他的手: —  

 the stone struck my bonnet;

石头击中了我的帽子。 —  

 and then ensued, from the stammering lips of the little fellow, a string of curses, which, whether he comprehended them or not, were delivered with practised emphasis, and distorted his baby features into a shocking expression of malignity.

然后从这个小家伙结结巴巴的嘴唇里传出了一串咒骂,无论他是否理解这些话,他都用熟练的重音咆哮着,使他婴儿般的面容扭曲成可怕的恶意表情。 —  

 You may be certain this grieved more than angered me.

你可以肯定,这伤害了我,而不仅仅是激怒了我。 —  

 Fit to cry, I took an orange from my pocket, and offered it to propitiate him.

我伤心地快要哭了,从口袋里拿出一个橙子,试图安抚他。 —  

 He hesitated, and then snatched it from my hold;

他犹豫了一下,然后从我手中抢走了橙子; —  

 as if he fancied I only intended to tempt and disappoint him.

好像他认为我只是想引诱他然后让他失望。 —  

 I showed another, keeping it out of his reach.

我又拿出另一个,让他够不着。 

 “Who has taught you those fine words, my bairn?” I inquired.

是谁教你这些好词好句的,小家伙? — 

 “The curate?”

是牧师吗?”  

 “Damn the curate, and thee! Gie me that,” he replied.

见鬼,还有你!把那个给我。他回答道。 

 “Tell us where you got your lessons, and you shall have it,” said I. “Who’s your master?”

告诉我你是从哪里学到这些,我就给你。我说道。谁是你的老师?”  

 “Devil daddy,” was his answer.

恶魔父亲。他回答说。 

 “And what do you learn from daddy?” I continued.

你从爸爸那里学到了什么?我继续问道。 

 He jumped at the fruit; I raised it higher.

他扑向了水果;我把它抬得更高了。” —  

 “What does he teach you?” I asked.

他教你什么?我问道。 

 “Naught,” said he, “but to keep out of his gait.

他只是不想跟着他走。我说, —  

 Daddy cannot bide me, because I swear at him.”

爸爸不喜欢我,因为我骂他。”  

 “Ah! and the devil teaches you to swear at daddy?

啊!是魔鬼教你骂爸爸的吗? —  

 ” I observed.

我问道。

 “Ay—nay,” he drawled.

嗯,也不是。他慢吞吞地说。

 “Who, then?”

那是谁教的?”  

 “Heathcliff.”

希斯克利夫。”  

 “I asked if he liked Mr. Heathcliff.”

我问他是否喜欢希斯克利夫。”  

 “Ay!” he answered again.

是!他再次回答。 

 Desiring to have his reasons for liking him, I could only gather the sentences—“I known’t:

想要知道他为什么喜欢他,我只能听到这些话——“我不知道: —  

 he pays dad back what he gies to me—he curses daddy for cursing me.

他会还爸爸给我的东西,他骂爸爸是因为他骂我。 —  

 He says I mun do as I will.”

他说我可以随心所欲。” 

 “And the curate does not teach you to read and write, then?” I pursued.

那牧师不教你读写吗?我继续问道。 

 “No, I was told the curate should have his —— teeth dashed down his —— throat, if he stepped over the threshold—Heathcliff had promised that!”

不,我听说牧师一踏进门槛他就会把他的——牙齿打碎——希斯克利夫答应过! 

 I put the orange in his hand, and bade him tell his father that a woman called Nelly Dean was waiting to speak with him, by the garden gate.

我把橙子放在他手里,让他告诉他父亲有个叫妮莉·迪安的女人正在花园门口等着找他。 —  

 He went up the walk, and entered the house; but, instead of Hindley, Heathcliff appeared on the door-stones;

他走上小路,进了屋子;但是,出现在门前的不是辛德利,而是希斯克利夫; —  

 and I turned directly and ran down the road as hard as ever I could race, making no halt till I gained the guide-post, and feeling as scared as if I had raised a goblin.

我立刻转身朝路跑去,拼命地奔跑,一直到我跑到路标那里,吓得我像遇到了妖怪一样。 —  

 This is not much connected with Miss Isabella’s affair:

这与伊莎贝拉小姐的事情没有太大关系, —  

 except that it urged me to resolve further on mounting vigilant guard, and doing my utmost to check the spread of such bad influence at the Grange:

只是促使我下定决心,要继续保持警惕,尽我最大努力阻止这种不良影响在庄园里蔓延。 —  

 even though I should wake a domestic storm, by thwarting Mrs. Linton’s pleasure.

即使我要违背林顿夫人的意愿,引起一场家庭风暴,我也要这样做。

  The next time Heathcliff came my young lady chanced to be feeding some pigeons in the court.

希斯克里夫下一次来的时候我的小姐碰巧在庭院里喂鸽子。 —  

 She had never spoken a word to her sister-in-law for three days;

她已经三天没有跟她的嫂子说过一句话了。 —  

 but she had likewise dropped her fretful complaining, and we found it a great comfort.

但她也不再抱怨发牢骚了,我们发现这样很安慰。 —  

 Heathcliff had not the habit of bestowing a single unnecessary civility on Miss Linton, I knew.

我知道希斯克里夫没有对林顿小姐施以一丝不必要的礼貌。 —  

 Now, as soon as he beheld her, his first precaution was to take a sweeping survey of the house-front.

现在,他一看到她,首先要做的是对房子的正面进行一次全面检查。 —  

 I was standing by the kitchen-window, but I drew out of sight.

我站在厨房窗口旁,但我躲了起来。 —  

 He then stepped across the pavement to her, and said something:

然后他穿过人行道走向她,说了些什么。 —  

 she seemed embarrassed, and desirous of getting away;

她似乎很尴尬,很想逃离;为了阻止她, — 

 to prevent it, he laid his hand on her arm.

他把手放在她的胳膊上。 — 

 She averted her face:

她移开了脸。 —  

 he apparently put some question which she had no mind to answer.

他显然问了一些她不想回答的问题。 —  

 There was another rapid glance at the house, and supposing himself unseen, the scoundrel had the impudence to embrace her.

他又朝房子扫了一眼,以为自己没被看见,这个恶棍竟然厚颜无耻地拥抱了她。 

 “Judas! Traitor!” I ejaculated.

犹大!叛徒!我喊道。 —  

 “You are a hypocrite, too, are you?

你也是个伪君子吗? —  

 A deliberate deceiver.”

一个蓄意欺骗者。”  

 “Who is, Nelly?” said Catherine’s voice at my elbow:

谁是,Nelly凯瑟琳的声音在我耳边说道: —  

 I had been over-intent on watching the pair outside to mark her entrance.

我一直专注地观察外面的那对,没注意到她进来了。 

 “Your worthless friend!” I answered, warmly:

你那个一无是处的朋友!我激动地回答道: —  

 “the sneaking rascal yonder. Ah, he has caught a glimpse of us—he is coming in!

那个卑鄙的无赖在那边。啊,他瞥见我们了,他要进来了! —  

 I wonder will he have the heart to find a plausible excuse for making love to Miss, when he told you he hated her?”

我想他会不会有勇气为对你说讨厌她的事找到一个合理的借口来向小姐求爱?” 

 Mrs. Linton saw Isabella tear herself free, and run into the garden; and a minute after, Heathcliff opened the door.

林顿太太看到伊莎贝拉挣脱开来,奔向花园;一分钟后,希斯克里夫打开了门。 —  

 I couldn’t withhold giving some loose to my indignation;

我无法抑制住愤怒, —  

 but Catherine angrily insisted on silence, and threatened to order me out of the kitchen, if I dared to be so presumptuous as to put in my insolent tongue.

但是凯瑟琳生气地要求我保持沉默,并威胁说如果我再敢放肆地开口,她会命令我离开厨房。 

 “To hear you, people might think you were the mistress!

听你说话,人们可能会以为你是女主人! — 

  ” she cried. “You want setting down in your right place!

她喊道。你需要被放到你应该在的位置上!” —  

 Heathcliff, what are you about, raising this stir?

希斯克里夫,你在干什么,搞得这么吵闹? —  

 I said you must let Isabella alone!

我说过你必须让伊莎贝拉一个人呆着! —  

 —I beg you will, unless you are tired of being received here, and wish Linton to draw the bolts against you!”

——我请求你,除非你已经厌倦了在这里受到好待遇,希望林顿把门栓起来对付你! 

 “God forbid that he should try!

上帝保佑他温顺和耐心! —  

 ” answered the black villain.

每天我都对把他送到天堂的念头越来越疯狂! —  

 I detested him just then.

” —  

 “God keep him meek and patient!

别烦我。凯瑟琳闭上内门说。 —  

 Every day I grow madder after sending him to heaven!”

为什么你不理会我的请求?她是故意找碴儿吗?”  

 “Hush!” said Catherine, shutting the inner door.

愿上帝不要让他尝试! —  

 “Don’t vex me. Why have you disregarded my request?

黑皮恶棍回答道。 —  

 Did she come across you on purpose?”

那时我非常憎恶他。 

 “What is it to you?” he growled.

你管得着吗?他咆哮道。

 “I have a right to kiss her, if she chooses;and you have no right to object.  I am not your husband: you needn’t be jealous of me!”“I’m not jealous of you,” replied the mistress;“I’m jealous for you. Clear your face:  you sha’n’t scowl at me!

如果她愿意,我有权亲吻她; —  而你没有权利反对。我不是你的丈夫:你没必要嫉妒我!” —  我并不嫉妒你,女主人回答道。 — 我是为你嫉妒。 — 露出你的脸:你不应该对我怒视!  


贴主:wangguotong于2024_11_14 0:25:29编辑
喜欢wangguotong朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ wangguotong的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回学习园地首页]
帖子内容是网友自行贴上分享,如果您认为其中内容违规或者侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们核实后会第一时间删除。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )


用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画


     图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...






[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]